Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Week 3: Reading Diary A

The Ramayana  by R.K Narayan
Reading Notes. Pages 89-130.

Important Notes:

  • Ravana kidnaps Sita against her will and takes her away 
  • Hanuman, the God Monkey, is finally introduced. He is very loyal to Sugriva. 
  • Sugriva promises Rama that if they help him defeat Vali, then Sugriva will help them find Sita 
  • Rama once again helps defeat someone bad. He help Lakshman, Hanuman, and Sugriva defeat Vali. Rama uses his arrow and Vali recognizes it and first deems the entire situation wrong but then changes his opinion right before he dies. 
  • Sugriva is so caught up in how own life that he forgets his promise to Rama. Lakshman ends up going to visit and Sugriva and arranges a meeting for him and Rama. 
  • Search parties are sent out for Sita. Hanuman and Angada reach the end of the ocean and still cannot find Sita anywhere
  • Sampathi in return for Rama giving her wings, tells Rama that she saw Ravana take Sita to Lanka

 
Predictions and Thoughts: 
  • My first predictions were right about Ravana! Ravana kidnapped Sita against her wishes and took her. I'm surprised he didn't just take her back to his kingdom and instead is taking Rama and Lakshmana on a goose chase. 
  • I don't understand why Hanuman disguised himself as a scholar when Rama and Lakshman came.. He seems like a character that I could follow. 
  • I really don't like Vali. He seems very short-tempered and unreasonable. I also can't believe that he stole his brother's wife. I wish we could hear the wife's story and thoughts. Maybe about running away and staying with her husband or liking Vali from the beginning and just using Sugriva? 
  • When I read that part about the curse and Mount Matanga, I instantly assumed that Hanuman, Lakshman, and Rama would get Vali to come to Mount Matanga and that way they wouldn't even have to fight him, the curse would kill him. But he was defeated another way. 
  • What I noticed while reading this was how much time has passed since Sita has been away.. Rama and Lakshman spend an entire rainy season in the forest. I feel like that's a lot of time and I wonder what Sita must be going through. I wish we could hear her side of the story right now. 
  • It's so cool to see the effect Rama still has on others. For example, when Sampathi hears Rama's name, her wings instantly grow back. Rama has such great bonds and connections with almost everyone he meets. 

1 comment:

  1. I like that you not only took notes, but you also gave some in depth analysis of the story in your "predictions and thoughts" section. Concerning your second bullet point in that section, I think that Hanuman disguised himself because, as a watchman, he was extremely careful in order to protect his people. I also like that you pointed out the effect Rama has on others.

    ReplyDelete