Monday, November 3, 2014

Week 12: Reading Diary B

Buck's Mahabharata
Reading Notes: Pages 139-189
Notes and Thoughts:

  • I don't think it's Arjuna's fault that he doesn't like Urvashi. For her to curse him because he doesn't love her back seems dumb. Indra helps Arjuna use that curse to his advantage though, which is good.
  • I also don't remember even reading Mankanaka's story in Narayan's Mahabharata. Either I really was not paying attention or this version is A LOT clearer and easier to understand
  • Rishyashringa and Shanta's story is cute and sweet. I'm glad that Shanta doesn't just leave him after she makes him fall for her and come all the way to city and bring rain. 
  • Arjuna is returned back to Earth. That's always good
  • In this version of the Mahabharata, the Pandavas aren't the ones that end up rescuing Duryodhana? Wow. That's a huge change.
  • Jayadratha seems like a minor and pointless character... but a good one to spin a weekly story form
  • Savitri and Satyavan's tale is also very interesting and deep. I applaud her for her devotion to her husband and the untiring hope she had so he could live more than one year with her. I would definitely do the same if I fell in love with a man that I knew only had one year left to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment