Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1 Storytelling: The Promise

"ONE, TWO," screams Alice loudly on top of the hill. "Wait. Will you promise to catch me Charlie?" Alice says while she puts her hands on her hips.
Charlie replies innocently, "Of course Alice! I would never let you fall."
Alice gives Charlie a heartwarming smile and then falls.
When Alice wakes up, she feels cold dark concrete against her cheek and feels appalled after realizing that Charlie broke his promise and didn't catch her when she did the trust fall. 

- 20 years later

Alice is at the doctor's office waiting for her husband, Charlie, to show up. "Late as always, I wonder what he is doing. He promised me he would be on time. I'm sure he knows how much this means to me" she thinks to herself. Right as this thought crosses her mind, Charlie sweeps in through the door. He walks towards her chair effortlessly with a sly smile on his face. He slides in place next to her and starts a nonchalant conversation not even acknowledging the that Alice spent 45 minutes trying to delay her appointment so he could be a part of this experience. 
She turns around to Charlie caressing her belly and asks Charlie, "Why did you break your promise? You told me you would be here at 2:00pm and it is now almost 3:00.." 
Charlie takes a long hard look at her and then replies, "You know I don't take promises that seriously. I'm here aren't I? I'm sorry, it must just be in my nature."

Photo retrieved from Scorpion


Author's Note:  This story is based on a fable by Aesop called, "The Scorpion and The Frog." The fable tells a story about a scorpion asking a frog for a ride across the river. The scorpion promises the frog that it will not sting the frog. The frog agrees and during the ride across the river, the scorpion breaks his promise and impulsively stings the frog. The frogs asks the scorpion why it did such a thing because now they shall both die. The scorpion replies, "It's in my nature."

Bibliography: "The Scorpion and The Frog."  Aesop for Children, illustrated by Milo Winter.



4 comments:

  1. I liked how you modernized the story and made it into a relatable situation of a significant other not keeping a promise. I would have loved to see more in the section about twenty years before and maybe why Charlie hadn't caught her. You did a great job of making the parallel of the scorpion carrying the frog and the marriage of the two characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a little short on time :/ That's why I just wrote whatever came to me.

      Delete
  2. Yours is a very interesting take on this fable. I like the spin you put on it. The only thing I can think to improve on would be details. I was left wondering why he does not value promises. Why doesn't he keep them? Also, that picture of the scorpion is pretty cool. I'm pretty against holding a scorpion, but they do look really neat.

    I was wondering, what drew you to this fable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bria! If I had more time, I would have definitely added some more details.

      The reason I was drawn to this story is because I've had some life events happen that have caused me to be the scorpion in some cases and it's sad and scary. Some things are in our nature and other things I feel are developed as the circumstances and time goes on.

      Delete