Monday, October 27, 2014

Week 11: Reading Diary A

Buck's Mahabharata
Reading Notes: Pages 1-47
Notes and Thoughts:


  • Well, now we know why Ganesha has an elephant head instead of a human one
  • We also now know why Shiva's throat is blue. I like knowing the small little details behind these things. It reminds me of the fables my parents used to read to me when I was little. There was always some sort of silly reason why the Giraffe had spots and the Elephants had wrinkles and Tigers had stripes.
  • The story of Ganga is super sad and if I was Shantanu I would definitely break my promise about not asking why she was killing their babies
  • The fish and semen story is kind of funny. It's sad for Chedi though because he is never able to meet his daughter or even know that she exists
  • It sucks that Pandu can never make love to anyone again and has to exile himself into the Himalayas. Welp. Actually, he did make love to his wife and then died. It must be true love since she joins him
  • Gandhari is pregnant with ONE HUNDRED sons?! The hard ball of flesh and cutting it into 100 sons and 1 daughter and then sealing them into jars for two years is super weird
  • It's sad that Drona tells Arjuna to capture King Drupada as a "teacher's fee"

No comments:

Post a Comment