Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week 11: Reading Diary B

Buck's Mahabharata
Reading Notes: Pages 49-91
Notes and Thoughts:


  • I think that Buck's Mahabharata has so much more detail than the Narayan's Mahabharata. It's different kinds of detail. In Narayan's, Drona's son was at least mentioned and talked about a little. In Buck's, I don't remember reading about him at all
  • I also had no idea that Drupada set an archery test that only Arjuna can pass...
  • Buck's story also makes much more sense to me, I feel like it's a lot less complicated than Narayan's
  • I like the story about Arjuna and Krishna helping Agni ward of Indra and burn the forest down 
  • I also don't remember Maya being part of this story in the last Mahabharata that we read, it could easily be because I didn't pay attention. But overall, I am a bigger fan of Buck's version
  • Vyasa is a smart guy, taking his mother, Ambika, Ambalika, and the mother of Vidura away in the forest so they don't have to be a part of or witness the war that is bound to occur after this giant gambling game

No comments:

Post a Comment