Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9: Reading Diary A

Narayan's Mahabharata
Reading Notes: Pages 1-39

Important Notes and Thoughts:


  • If I were the husband, I would definitely be concerned if my wife started drowning all my new-born babies... I would question her even if I wasn't supposed too. So i'm glad that Shantanu questioned his wife before she drowned her 8th baby
  • I feel like the indian culture is SO strict. The King of Shalwa won't marry Amba because she stepped foot into another man's house? That seems a bit preposterous. I'm thankful that my culture isn't as strict. I guess Amba's anger is fair but her want for revenge against Bhishma isn't fair at all. It isn't his fault that he wants the best for his sons? He did send her away when he found out about her prior commitment. Maybe she should have told him earlier?
  • The way that these children are born is very funny. Ambika closes her eyes cause she does't like his appearance so her child is blind? Ambalika turns pale at the sight of Vyasa so her child is pale? Good thing the maid feels positively about poor Vyasa. 
  • Wow. The Pandavas and Kauravas stories are pretty epic. A lot of kids and characters. Glad each son is able to have children though...
  • Drona, Drupada, and Arjuna's story is quite confusing. So many past relations, enemies, and characters
  • The Pandavas are smart for setting the house on fire and making it look like they are dead
  • Draupadi story reminds me of the popular theme of reincarnation. She had 5 husbands in her past life and wanted them back and the Lord Ishvara answers her prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment